Learn from Industry Leaders
Take accredited SSETA courses online
Individuals looking to become real estate agents must complete:
- a 12-month mandatory internship at an estate agency; and
- the NQF 4 - Real Estate – FETC qualification offered by a SSETA accredited provider such as BrainTrust or be exempt from the NQF 4; and
- a logbook of evidence.
Upon Successful completion of BrainTrust’s NQF 4 and a logbook of evidence submitted to the Estate Agency Affairs Board, the candidate will be eligible to write the Estate Agency Affairs Board’s Professional Designated Exam (PDE 4). Once passed, the intern estate can upgrade their status to a full status agent.
Real Estate Agents - NQF 4 - FETC
The NQF 4 is a qualification that is intended to enhance the provision of entry-level service within the property and real estate professions. This Further Education and Training Certificate ["FETC"] provides the broad knowledge, skills and values needed in the property and real estate environment.
Who is required to complete the NQF 4:
- Intern Estate Agents
- Estate Agents or Non-Principals who have held full status since 2013 – this process is facilitated through the Recognition of Prior Learning [“RPL”]
- However, exemptions to the above may apply
NQF 5 - Principals - Nantional Certificate
In order for an estate agent to operate their own firm, they must be registered as a Principal estate agent with the EAAB.
Principals who attained this status post 15 July 2008 or estate agents intending to become principals must:
- Have completed a Further Education and Training Certificate: Real Estate (NQF 4) as well as the National Certificate: Real Estate (NQF5)
- However, exemptions from the NQF 4 and NQF 5 may apply
The Professional Designation Examination [“PDE”] is an integrated test of knowledge for estate agents and Principals. The PDE was introduced in 2008 to replace the old EAAB board exam and incorporates a knowledge as well as a case study component. A 50% pass mark is required to be certified.
No person may be registered by the EAAB as a full status estate agent or principal unless they have successfully completed the PDE or been exempt. Estate agents or Non-Principals are therefore required to complete the PDE 4 while Principals are required to complete the PDE 5.
A person is eligible to write the PDE once they have completed the relevant NQF qualification or been exempt based on the EAAB’s equivalency matrix. A candidate must register directly with the EAAB to write the applicable PDE exam. A registration and a study material cost will apply.
Steps to Sign up
Please follow the below steps to sign-up to a BrainTrust course:
1. Log onto: http://www.btbt.co.za/
2. Click “All Courses” at the top of the page
3. Select the appropriate course that you wish to take
4. Click the big blue button on the right - “Take this Course”
5. Select “Proceed to Checkout” on the button right
6. Enter your personal details in the fields required
7. Select your payment method (EFT or Credit Card via Payfast) – please note that payment options are only available via EFT
8. Click “Place Order”
9. Your course will be activated within 24 hours upon receipt of payment
NQF 4 and NQF 5
- Completed prior tertiary education
- Completed prior other education
- Attained the age of 60 (subject to further conditions)
This Recognition of Prior Learning [“RPL”] gives credit to the candidate’s previous experience and courses completed. RPL may exempt certain modules of the NQF 4 and NQF 5 or the entire Real Estate NQF4 or NQF5 depending on a fully completed prior qualification.
The candidate may be exempt from completing the NQF 4 and NQF 5:
- Fully –based on specific tertiary education completed (Bcom, LLB etc. - see EAAB matrix)
- Fully – NQF 4 - if the estate agent has held continuously since 15 July 2008 a fidelity fund certificate (Apply to the EAAB)
- Fully – NQF 5 - if the estate agent has held continuously since 15 July 2008 a Principal fidelity fund certificate (Apply to the EAAB)
- Partially –based on tertiary or other courses completed. Certain modules may therefore be excluded from the NQF training based on RPL (Various courses - see EAAB matrix) Link!!!